Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was going to ask this same question but for the non-S model.
I was looking at the 15 mm spacers, and was wondering what people thought of them.

Does anyone have pictures of them on the S model?

Also,
sorry if I hijack this thread.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes pics would be good!? heard people say can destroy handling???
Spacers certainly change wheel offset which some cars like first gen Miatas tolerate very well. On the other hand you can create a real pig that steers everywhere but what you want under hard braking approaching a corner! I would try to drive a car with the wheels or spacers that change offset before buying as you can't judge by looks alone.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I begrudgingly went with spacers on my JCW as I couldn't live with the offset as it was.

Once my tyres are worn down I might change to a set of rims with the offset I like but technically it's the same thing e.g extra mechanical wear.

Mine are eibachs hub centrics
15mm rear
12mm front
Black extended bolts. 41mm I think

As I lowered the car at the same time it's hard to say if the improvement to the handling was solely down to the suspension or if the spacers played a part however I have had a chance to drive enthusiastically and there's a huge difference in cornering (flatter more grip) and less squirrelling under braking.

For me so far so good but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and there are many mixed views.

As I am a new user I can't post pics yet so I apologise for not sending any. I will do soon!

Good luck whatever you decide

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I run Way Motor Works 15mm hubcentric with bolts on my winter set up because I couldn't handle how sunken everything was low. No issues with the product at all.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Darrel,

I have the same color combination - looks great :)

When you say you lowered your car at the same time as using spacers would it be OK to ask what that entailed? (i.e. was it a full on suspension upgrade or just springs)

Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Darrel,

I have the same color combination - looks great :)

When you say you lowered your car at the same time as using spacers would it be OK to ask what that entailed? (i.e. was it a full on suspension upgrade or just springs)

Thanks!

Haha yes good colour combo :)

I put eibach springs on only as I wanted to use the adaptive dampeners and didn't want an extreme drop (bumpy roads near me) so the eibachs would give me 11-12cm ground clearance and retain most of the ride quality.

Hope this helps

D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I sure hope...

I only have 3100 or so km's on my JCW (and sitting on jack stands since late october, with the wheels removed) and I sure hope the suspension settles down, literally.

I will be ordering soon the 18" JCW 506 spoke wheels, and will also use the 20mm spacers. I have to admit, the JCW lowered looks right. The way it is is now, kinda ugh. The punishing part, is in my neck of the woods, is the ride. Our roads (yeah, I know, everyone says this, but if you have never driven in Montreal, you will never know what REAL bad roads are) are the worst in the modern world. We have pot holes on our highways lmfao, I kid you not. So lowering usually means firmer, and firmer with lower profile, short wheel base, means punishment.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
As soon as my JCW arrives I'm having the dealer install the JCW Pro coilovers and NM 25mm sway bar. The car has 18" rims. The paved roads around here are mostly good with the occasional pothole and stupid dips for channeling the monsoon thunderstorms that drop 37" of water in 15 minutes.

I have the SS on my S right now, and have learned to pay attention to the road ahead. The only thing I'm worried about with the JCW is driving to the various trailheads I visit. Lowered car, super stiff suspension bumpy dirt road (including crossing washes of varying degrees of rockiness), I think my fillings are going to be rattled out. Or I'll be driving at 2 mph for 8 miles while being blown away by 4X4's and Toyota Camrys doing 50 mph. I guess I'll put the emergency flasher on and hope for the best.

But I'll catch up to them in short order once we hit the pavement again...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.