Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why, maybe they just don't know what a JCW is, but the amount of people who seem to think they can:

• Take me from the lights
  • Out accelerate me on a motorway
  • "do me" on an an urban dual carriageway

Just seems to be growing.

Today it was the guy in an Astra 2.0CDTi. I mean 140PS at best... I came onto the M25 and he didn't want me to pull out, he accelerated in lane 1 as I come off the slip road, so I just eased up, let hime pass and then went round him on the outside.

10 minutes later he's up my chuff flashing.... Bye :D

Last week it was Fiesta ST who was OK in a straight line but couldn't drive through a bend. Maybe I should drive a big aggressive car and people would leave me alone...

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't know why, maybe they just don't know what a JCW is, but the amount of people who seem to think they can:

• Take me from the lights
  • Out accelerate me on a motorway
  • "do me" on an an urban dual carriageway

Just seems to be growing.

Today it was the guy in an Astra 2.0CDTi. I mean 140PS at best... I came onto the M25 and he didn't want me to pull out, he accelerated in lane 1 as I come off the slip road, so I just eased up, let hime pass and then went round him on the outside.

10 minutes later he's up my chuff flashing.... Bye :D

Last week it was Fiesta ST who was OK in a straight line but couldn't drive through a bend. Maybe I should drive a big aggressive car and people would leave me alone...
I know what you mean. Have only had my JCW 6 weeks and have been challenged several times, most recently last night by Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde on a fast curvy section of the highway near my house.

Was going about 100kph when he tailgated and flashed like he wanted to pass. I let him go by and then easily stayed with him for about a min before blowing by him in the vacant lane (the car looked like it was really struggling in the turns with pronounced roll and float). After passing him I had about 2 km and 6-7 decent curves before my exit and was actually 2-3 cars ahead of him when I exited (the JCW very tight, controlled, fast and confidence inspiring through it all).

Must have been a young driver because sadly, after getting off the same exit behind me and driving in regular streetlight traffic for a few blocks I could see that he was clearly agitated and reckless, as he went out of his way to pass me and several other cars in quite a dangerous way. (I of course ignored him and drove normally for the rest of the journey home).

Anyhow, the thing that astonishes me about this car is not its 0-100kph streetlight starts (which are certainly fast enough) but the incredibly amount of instantly available torque and lightning fast acceleration when the car is already moving. The JCW is a car that punches well above its weight class in the right situation and my gut tells me that it would have no trouble holding its own against my old Boxtser S or a variety of other more expensive sports cars ... :)

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah yes, the rev limiter in the passenger seat; I too suffer that problem.....

The thing is, I actually think that people don't like being overtaken by a "small car". I had a chap with an A45 come steaming up the outside lane yesterday, i just finished my overtake, pulled over and let him go on his way. He was driving TOO fast for the environment, and it would have been a pointless challenge anyway.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just remember your comments are on a public forum here ;) so maybe don't mention actual road names.

If someone thinks they have a faster car, let them think that. If that someone is prepared to put their life on the line proving that, again let them go it so not worth it.

The track, or should I say track days, are where you should enjoy your cars potential, not the street or road. I don't care if a 1.0 Polo tries to blow me and my MCS away, I won't try and show him (or her) anything, let them pass and get on with their day.

I learnt this when I started doing track days more seriously, the car is normally not the limiting factor, the drivers skill level is. Good fun can be had with any car. Yes, you can spend loads on money on a fast car, but taking it to its limits and knowing what to do if you go to far is the real test, and the only test i am interested in. The boffins at Mini proved the 0-60 times, I have no need to prove that they where correct to ever boy racer at ever set of lights.

What you do, is up to you. But remember when it goes wrong on a track you are going to hit somethings which are designed to be hit by an out of control car. When it goes wrong on the street what you hit is a lottery, and it could mean jail time, or even worse.

Final thing I will say, I have a dash cam, and the number of these things are growing day by day. In the old days if it does go wrong while your street racing, chances are you would get away with it, I am guessing these days are numbered.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Most of my fun driving is done on the mountain roads, usually "roads that are less travelled" as the saying goes, though as I don't get on the circuit as much these days, I do also enjoy the occasional spirited drive on public roads as well. I totally agree about the need to be very careful though, and thus the reason I back off as soon as I see someone driving dangerously or recklessly, and my reason for limiting most of the in city fun to toll highways where there are no lights and things are far more predictable....

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
It happens with any sporty car and most of the time I ignore it, but every once and a while I lose my cool and smoke them although the right seat limiter reminds me of my stupidity! But, it still makes me smile! I love the analogy in the early video about the new JCW referring to it as the **** Kitty a reference to the Dodge Hellcat, a fire breathing straight line 725 HP car that is only useful on a 1/4 mile drag strip, but if that is your thing it is an affordable muscle car as it costs about the same as a nicely loaded F56 JCW. There are no twisty backroads that it can safely be driven at speed however, and finesse in the twisties is my thing.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris, I'm well aware that this is a public forum, and at no time have I mentioned any speed. The fact remains that, when you see the "gap" coming onto a motorway, the last thing you need is some idiot deciding "you're not coming out". As far as I am concerned, if somebody is a dangerous driver, the safest place for me to be is in front of them. I know this from experience!

My annoyance is why people seem to want to challenge me in my JCW when they never did in my M135. I live just off of a 50mph dual carriageway which as a number of lights on it, and I do tend to pull away quickly, as long as it's safe to do so. It's just some people see that as a challenge to their manhood...

And if I wanted a lecture, I would have called my older brother ;)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Yes, sometimes there is some incredible urging for the need, the need for speed! It appears there is an abundance of that on this forum and most of the other forums that I haunt as well! Engine roar and growl is music to my tone deaf ear, the other one is actually deaf to pretty much everything and for some reason it is my right ear! My left seat conscience reminds me that it is the wrong ear, luckily for me she is not prone to physical violence! BTW, her right foot seems to have a fair amount of lead in it as well!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Chris, I'm well aware that this is a public forum, and at no time have I mentioned any speed. The fact remains that, when you see the "gap" coming onto a motorway, the last thing you need is some idiot deciding "you're not coming out". As far as I am concerned, if somebody is a dangerous driver, the safest place for me to be is in front of them. I know this from experience!

My annoyance is why people seem to want to challenge me in my JCW when they never did in my M135. I live just off of a 50mph dual carriageway which as a number of lights on it, and I do tend to pull away quickly, as long as it's safe to do so. It's just some people see that as a challenge to their manhood...

Sorry if the post was a bit preachy, i am no angel ;)

When I'm out in my 7 I will only push when no one else in involved. As soon as I see someone wanting to play, its game over for me. If they don't know what they are up against then they are not worth it. And it's not them thats looking up at their underside.

·
Registered
217 Posts

Me too! In the 6 weeks I've owned my JCW, I have been challenged more times than the 2 years I owned an M135!

Not sure how you feel about it but for me, the JCW Sports Suspension feels a lot more "planted" and communicative than the M135's adaptive sports suspension. The JCW may be a few ticks slower but truly is far more confidence inspiring when flying through the twists... :)

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
**** Kitty a reference to the Dodge Hellcat, a fire breathing straight line 725 HP car that is only useful on a 1/4 mile drag strip, but if that is your thing it is an affordable muscle car as it costs about the same as a nicely loaded F56 JCW.
Dan! Nicely loaded JCW? The ones I spec'ed out on the configurator came out around 40-41K USD. The MSRP on a Hellcat is 65K. If they were in the same price range as the JCW I'd have one... just because! >:D

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Me too! In the 6 weeks I've owned my JCW, I have been challenged more times than the 2 years I owned an M135!

Not sure how you feel about it but for me, the JCW Sports Suspension feels a lot more "planted" and communicative than the M135's adaptive sports suspension. The JCW may be a few ticks slower but truly is far more confidence inspiring when flying through the twists... :)
To be fair, the M135 is very much a sleeper, to the untrained eye it just looks like another 1 series, just with twin exhausts and bigger wheels. The JCW on the other hand is much sportier looking so probably provokes the attention.

And have to agree with Chris, if they are unsure what it is, they probably don't have the ability to drive quickly anyway. Mind you, it's always fun watching them disappear in the mirror once the roads start to twist :D

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Dan! Nicely loaded JCW? The ones I spec'ed out on the configurator came out around 40-41K USD. The MSRP on a Hellcat is 65K. If they were in the same price range as the JCW I'd have one... just because! >:D
Originally Dodge targeted it in the 40's and advertised it as such, I didn't follow it as I really wasn't interested in one, however, I did read that the demand was so high they couldn't manufacture enough cars to meet it. Apparently, capitalism took care of that, they raised the price. The same thing happened in the early days of the Corvette 7 series, price increases and dealer premiums! I paid the dealer premium on the one we have, there were only 2 available in about 100 mile range, but I/we had to have after we saw it and drove it and I don't regret it, it is a great car. Maybe we should not spread the word about how good the F series minis are!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I do wonder how close of a call it would be against my torquier SD...
Don't get fixated on a torque number as it does not tell you what acceleration the car has, since that depends on the gearing too. Most diesels are geared very highly, since they don't like to rev much (though each generation revs more), so that means they produce less acceleration than a higher-revving engine.

In very rough terms, the JCW will be revving 50% higher than the SD, so the JCW's 320 Nm of torque will monster the SD's 360 Nm in acceleration by something like 30%. That's why the JCW does 0-60 in 6.3 sec when the SD takes 7.3 sec.

The best thing would be if Mini published tractive effort curves which show how much forward thrust the car can produce in each gear - a (stolen) example is shown below. The TE curves are also invaluable for showing exactly when to change gear, when the curve in one gear crosses the curve of the next gear - for example in the graph, the best acceleration is to change into top (4th!) at about 70mph.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Don't get fixated on a torque number as it does not tell you what acceleration the car has, since that depends on the gearing too. Most diesels are geared very highly, since they don't like to rev much (though each generation revs more), so that means they produce less acceleration than a higher-revving engine.

In very rough terms, the JCW will be revving 50% higher than the SD, so the JCW's 320 Nm of torque will monster the SD's 360 Nm in acceleration by something like 30%. That's why the JCW does 0-60 in 6.3 sec when the SD takes 7.3 sec.

The best thing would be if Mini published tractive effort curves which show how much forward thrust the car can produce in each gear - a (stolen) example is shown below. The TE curves are also invaluable for showing exactly when to change gear, when the curve in one gear crosses the curve of the next gear - for example in the graph, the best acceleration is to change into top (4th!) at about 70mph.

You're right I know with the right driver, my mum not being the right driver, the JCW would totally thrash me but just looked on MINI's website, in regards to torque quoting their flexibility 50-75mph figures:

Cooper SD: 6.5 seconds
JCW: 5.6 seconds

In the real world 0.9 seconds would be hard to notice, no? Still think it would be interesting to see!

·
Registered
508 Posts
The fairly small difference between the JCW and SD acceleration times, both 0-60 and 50-75, suggest that the SD may have a bit wider power band than the JCW, which wouldn't be that surprising if you look at the claimed max torque revs (a 1500-2750 rpm plateau for the SD!).

But while 0.9 sec doesn't sound much different, it's nearly 10%, so probably noticeable - though I'll accept that much less than 10% is not noticeable, unless the change is (a) shiny or (b) fashionable. It's probably all the red and black bits and scoops on the JCW that make the difference

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.