Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it looks like I'm littering the forums with many questions, but I have many I want to get the full use out of my new Mini so here's my next one.

What do you do with your iPhone when you drive? I think the Bluetooth audio is really good at the moment so I like to keep it in my pocket. I would like to use the cradle in the arm rest of my Media XL option, but the snap-in adapter is way too expensive for what it is! I do use the USB cable occasionally for a long journey to get the most out of Mini Connected but then I have to have my phone behind the cupholders, and because of the contours of the space, it is not sturdy at all.

I see I could go for the Click & Drive, but that seems to only *charge* my iphone, and not pass data through. So a bit pointless really.

What does everyone else do?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I used the cup holder and USB cable for a time and recently moved to the arm rest universal adapter. Didn't like paying for it but much happier with the freed up space.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Pocket most of the time but cup holder if I want it out. Android here not an Apple fan!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
You can stick it down by the foot well in the net (if you have that option) so it is secure and out of the way and you can not text while driving and crash your Mini.;)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If it's not in my pocket or on the passenger seat, it's on my cheap $20 Amazon suction cup mount, mounted to the blind ring around the center instrument

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not unrelated to this topic, does anybody know the part no. For the universal snap in adapter for lightning (iphones) for a F56 JCW?

I don't want to buy through the dealer as they quoted some obscene price and I have seen ones for far less online (provided they are the correct adapters)

Cheers

·
Registered
763 Posts
Twadds, my universal iPhone adapter is part number 84 21 2 365 786. Not sure what spec you have, confirm with your dealer, but this should work

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'll send a photo of my set up and links to the bits on Amazon tomorrow. It's fantastic, always in view but never in the way, and plugs in to USB at a perfect length so the cable is as good as invisible. Good position for using the phone SatNav too (although I have VB I didn't want to pay for Nav)

Total cost of about £25 and no installing to do!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'll send a photo of my set up and links to the bits on Amazon tomorrow. It's fantastic, always in view but never in the way, and plugs in to USB at a perfect length so the cable is as good as invisible. Good position for using the phone SatNav too (although I have VB I didn't want to pay for Nav)

Total cost of about £25 and no installing to do!
Look forward to seeing it.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Twadds, my universal iPhone adapter is part number 84 21 2 365 786. Not sure what spec you have, confirm with your dealer, but this should work
As much as I would like to take advantage of the better antenna, I just can't bring myself to part with $200+ for the adaptor. For now, I just ordered a black/red USB cable from Amazon and lay the phone in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
646 Posts
As promised here is my set up!

Cup holder phone holder by Belkin, it's great and works with the phone in a case well, grabs it from the side with enough pressure to hold it really sturdy, but also no damage to a phone or a case. It's rubberised so no scratching either. Suits most phones but I've only tried it with an iPhone 6S.

USB cable is 20cm and the perfect length. The cup holder has a slot to allow the cable to come through from behind, so it's always there and easy to just plug in as soon as you're phone is in the holder. As you can see from the further shot it's a good position for seeing the screen for the sat nav - or any other helpful apps able to be glanced at while driving ;)

The phone holder rotates too so can easily slide round to landscape mode - again this is sturdy!

Both available at Amazon and both eligible for PRIME delivery too. Hope this is helpful!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi,

I use a magnetic mount called Steelie. Its one of the best and no fuss mont I have ever bought. It comes in two parts, 1. 3M Small ball mount metal base (sticks to any flat surface in car) and a 3M magnet phone socket goes on the back of your phone. Its very strong and holds my iPhone 6 plus (with case) easily (landscape or portrait). I have driven on every possible road surface and it has never slipped or fallen off.

You can find loads if videos on youtube about it.

Here are some pics. Apologies couldn't be asked to get out as its so cold.. In my MINI the ball mount sits on top of the centre console..

PS, I have been using this for nearly two years and the magnet has no impact on the phone's battery or my credit/debit cards what so ever..

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BAQKRHY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1457270211&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=steelie+car+mount&dpPl=1&dpID=41HRux72XmL&ref=plSrch[/ame]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks, very clean setup. I had something similar but I kept hitting my phone when changing gear. Do you have any issues when moving between gears?

As promised here is my set up!

Cup holder phone holder by Belkin, it's great and works with the phone in a case well, grabs it from the side with enough pressure to hold it really sturdy, but also no damage to a phone or a case. It's rubberised so no scratching either. Suits most phones but I've only tried it with an iPhone 6S.

USB cable is 20cm and the perfect length. The cup holder has a slot to allow the cable to come through from behind, so it's always there and easy to just plug in as soon as you're phone is in the holder. As you can see from the further shot it's a good position for seeing the screen for the sat nav - or any other helpful apps able to be glanced at while driving ;)

The phone holder rotates too so can easily slide round to landscape mode - again this is sturdy!

Both available at Amazon and both eligible for PRIME delivery too. Hope this is helpful!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Keep it in my pocket most of the time. Playing music via bluetooth sounds like crap and you don't need the phone at hand to make a phone call.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts