Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a MINI newbie who just picked up a 2015 F56 justa (I know some people don't like the term "justa", but how else do you indicate that it's not an S or JCW model?). Anyway, I don't see a temperature gauge or anyway to bring up a temperature reading on the display. Am I missing something here?

Bobby D.

·
Registered
38 Posts
a 2015 F56 justa (I know some people don't like the term "justa", but how else do you indicate that it's not an S or JCW model?).
2015 F56 ;)

Anyway, I don't see a temperature gauge or anyway to bring up a temperature reading on the display. Am I missing something here?
Cycle through the options on the dash display using the indicator stalk, one will show either LOW, OK, or HIGH and a little engine with temperature symbol next to it. If you leave it on that setting for a second or so, it will show you the temperature on a digital gauge. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Agreed cycle through the computer,left STALK tip button. Can't you just call it a Cooper. Simples.

Reactions: johnan

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not to rain on people's parade, but at least in the US the 'Cooper' name is given to every MINI there is - Countryman, Roadster, etc. - with the exception of the JCW models. You could make an argument for 'Hardtop 2-Door' (3-Door in ROW) but MINI and most dealerships include both 'Justa' and 'S' models in that description.

Even F56 has issues. Not only does it refer to both Justa and S, many places (including this forum) use F56 as shorthand for 3rd-gen and use it to mean F56/F55/F54/etc. (and to push everything deeper into the weeds, my use of '3rd-gen' has issues since it is only the 3rd gen of the hatch - the F54 is the 2nd-gen of the Clubman).

So if you actually want people to know what you mean, go on using 'Justa'. Or '201X 1.5L Hardtop 2/3-Door' if you prefer.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Not to rain on people's parade, but at least in the US the 'Cooper' name is given to every MINI there is - Countryman, Roadster, etc. - with the exception of the JCW models. You could make an argument for 'Hardtop 2-Door' (3-Door in ROW) but MINI and most dealerships include both 'Justa' and 'S' models in that description.

Even F56 has issues. Not only does it refer to both Justa and S, many places (including this forum) use F56 as shorthand for 3rd-gen and use it to mean F56/F55/F54/etc. (and to push everything deeper into the weeds, my use of '3rd-gen' has issues since it is only the 3rd gen of the hatch - the F54 is the 2nd-gen of the Clubman).

So if you actually want people to know what you mean, go on using 'Justa'. Or '201X 1.5L Hardtop 2/3-Door' if you prefer.

I've got an F56 cooper, it's what it is, simples.

It's a 3 door hatchback, none of this hardtop nonsense, and yes it's got 3 doors, not 2. :D

This is the main shape, so it's enough to say Cooper. If you've got a Countryman you'd say so........

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
SORRY ljmii NOOOOOOO Mikes wagon is right, a cooper is a cooper.
So here goes;
mini one is a one, (1,2 petrol) cooper is a cooper (1,5 petrol 3 door), cooper d is just that cooper s is just that, and of course not forgetting the cooper sd, then to any of these add 5 door, or if you like f55.other wise we are talking 3 door or if you like f56 but i quite understand people not in the know not using the f coding .

So a cooper is a 3 door petrol hatch. that's what i run. I have a friend with a cooper d 5dr ie a 5 door hatch with the 1.5 diesel engine, but i have considered buying the cooper s , yes thaat's a 3 door hatch with the 2 liter turbo. i also like the jcw but until there's a jcw 5 door i shall wait (this last one is a joke but you never know, they might).

Added to this of course there is the Country man and the Paceman and the Clubman all of which are available in , yep you guessed it, cooper , cooper d , cooper s and cooper sd!

It really is so simple and the term JUSTA should be BANISHED BANISHED BANNISHED! Grrrrrrrrrr! There is no justa about any car in the mini line up. NO MORE JUSTA please , sounds cheap orthat its a car that isnt quite good enough or quite there or is a second cousin. NO THANK YOU!

The above of course is all in good humour but i do really object to the term justa and my last para sort of explains why.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Slight off topic lads. I like it!

Jeremybingham's enthusiam makes me smile, but he's right.

I mean really, everyone is making this over complicated.

Really there are two options:

F55

F56

That's it. If you have a higher spec car, then you can start to add to the mark description.

F55 < Okay, you have a 5 door.
F55 SD < Okay, now we all know you have a 5 door sports Diesel.

Etc.

To be precise, we have a Mini 'One' 1.5d, but when you discuss it on the phone, it starts to get ridiculous. "How much does the One one cost with that option" - "Well that one is X, but the One is X" - ect. Poor name planning, the model naming for the public should simply be 3-door Mini or 5-door Mini, then enthusiasts like us or garages etc, will know the exact model is F55 or 6. Every other model of Mini brand has a separate name definer - Countryman, Clubman, Paceman etc, so it would work.

·
Registered
890 Posts
SORRY ljmii NOOOOOOO Mikes wagon is right, a cooper is a cooper.
So here goes;
mini one is a one, (1,2 petrol) cooper is a cooper (1,5 petrol 3 door), cooper d is just that cooper s is just that, and of course not forgetting the cooper sd, then to any of these add 5 door, or if you like f55.other wise we are talking 3 door or if you like f56 but i quite understand people not in the know not using the f coding .

So a cooper is a 3 door petrol hatch. that's what i run. I have a friend with a cooper d 5dr ie a 5 door hatch with the 1.5 diesel engine, but i have considered buying the cooper s , yes thaat's a 3 door hatch with the 2 liter turbo. i also like the jcw but until there's a jcw 5 door i shall wait (this last one is a joke but you never know, they might).
Added to this of course there is the Country man and the Paceman and the Clubman all of which are available in , yep you guessed it, cooper , cooper d , cooper s and cooper sd!

It really is so simple and the term JUSTA should be BANISHED BANISHED BANNISHED! Grrrrrrrrrr! There is no justa about any car in the mini line up. NO MORE JUSTA please , sounds cheap orthat its a car that isnt quite good enough or quite there or is a second cousin. NO THANK YOU!

The above of course is all in good humour but i do really object to the term justa and my last para sort of explains why.
I agree completely.
Justa is an unnecessary term which implies some sort of inferiority, when in fact in many reports the Cooper is actually regarded as the best overall car in the Mini stable. Perhaps we should say "justan S" or "justa JCW" when referring to them?
I am not completely serious obviously but let's drop this justa stuff.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Justa is an unnecessary term which implies some sort of inferiority...
Apologies to anyone who found my use of the word 'justa' offensive. I had thought it to be a clever solution to a unique problem of MINI nomenclature - and certainly better than the only other one I had heard or read previously, 'plain'. But I shan't use it again.

That said, the point of my post was that whatever 'Cooper' may mean it most certainly does not just mean 'non-S, non-JCW, non-Countryman 2/3 Door MINI Hatchback'. I seen it mean 'MINI', non-Countryman 2/3/4/5 Door MINI Hatch, non-S non-JCW MINI, and many other things - more than one of which by MINI itself.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
All in good humour really ljmii, i am sure it's a country thing, but it does grate on us here in the uk as you can see! anyway lets just enjoy our wonderful cars!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think 'justa' is really nice - modest, rather than inferior. But then I guess not having an 'S' has some stigma to many Cooper owners.

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Mmm Angib, not sure about that, may be i am having an inferiority complex. it just sounds to me like, that'll do, if you know what i mean (hard to express this in writing) and personally it just grates on me. But that;s the beauty of the forum, it is great to hear different points of view/experiences etc. i'll not use it but won't comment any more if it is ; certainly leaves no doubt as to which car it is that is being referred to!

I'm with you tiger; my cars pedigree name is jasper fiftieth anniverserus brokerus cooper the second.

On a similar note, ie comparing the different cars, i am constantly amazed at how refined this car is; travelling at the legal limit feels far too slow; and much slower than my r56 cooper s which on paper is faster!

Reactions: pjsjr13
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.