Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've decided to pull the trigger on a black Countryman JCW that features red bonnet stripes, red mirror caps, red door stripes, and a red roof, but now the wife is protesting that it's too much red.:rolleyes:

Can anyone offer opinions about which red details I should delete?

Initially I thought I should just wrap the roof in black since that's the largest area of red, but it seems that a red roof is a classic JCW design element that probably shouldn't be changed?

The bonnet stripes and mirror caps would be simple to remove, but would an all black vehicle with just a red roof look odd?

I really love the black and red, but also want to keep the wife (somewhat) happy about the new car.

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
605 Posts
  • Love
Reactions: MINIalist

·
Registered
422 Posts
Frankly speaking, i believe that the car is perfectly fine as it is, and the placement of those stripes can be mathematically explained.
However, if anything just MUST GO AWAY, would go like this:
1) No front stripes, but keep everything else
2) No caps and side inserts but keep everything else
3) (not really want to but) Remove all stripes and keep everything else

I'd really advise to keep the red roof anyways.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frankly speaking, i believe that the car is perfectly fine as it is, and the placement of those stripes can be mathematically explained.
However, if anything just MUST GO AWAY, i'd pick side inserts first and mirror caps second. Just because the stripes work on the silhouette proportions.
Option B: get rid of all stripes but keep roof, caps and inserts - you need to have the either a single strong color accent, or have them more or less distributed to have it look good.
I'd really advise to keep the red roof anyways.
Great insights, Lazy Lancer. What are you defining as the 'inserts'? Do you mean the side scuttles?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Super Moderator
1,029 Posts
My vote was gonna be to get rid of the side stripes but, looking at the mock-ups, I think mirror caps would be the way to go...if you absolutely must. I really like it as it is......hopefully your wife does when she sees the mock-ups. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, now there's a new wrinkle in the equation: an identical Countryman JCW in Enigmatic Black just became available. And of course, the wife like it better. :rolleyes:

Personally, I've always liked Enigmatic Black. Any thoughts about Midnight Black vs. Enigmatic Black?

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
422 Posts
I can only officially conclude with full confidence that one is clean and the other one is dusty :D

I believe the decision about all shades of gray different tones of black should be up to your personal taste, after all it's going to be your car and you must like it, not us.
However, based on info from Google, enigmatic black seems to have a slight blueish glare in bright sun. Might be really nice with red accents and would've been my pick.
That is, if Countryman gets the same "enigmatic black" as the regular Hatch
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can only officially conclude with full confidence that one is clean and the other one is dusty :D

I believe the decision about all shades of gray different tones of black should be up to your personal taste, after all it's going to be your car and you must like it, not us.
However, based on info from Google, enigmatic black seems to have a slight blueish glare in bright sun. Might be really nice with red accents and would've been my pick.
That is, if Countryman gets the same "enigmatic black" as the regular Hatch
View attachment 81554
Sage advice, LazyLancer. I appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts