Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above, I already have the jcw tuning kit but am wanting a bit more power.

So what tuning box is best to go for?

Does the jb4 modify fuel as well as boost or is it just boost with added functions such as boost per gear etc?

How do the tuning boxes effect fuel economy? Better worse?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
As above, I already have the jcw tuning kit but am wanting a bit more power.

So what tuning box is best to go for?

Does the jb4 modify fuel as well as boost or is it just boost with added functions such as boost per gear etc?

How do the tuning boxes effect fuel economy? Better worse?

I've got the NM module and it effects boost only i think.. but as for gas mileage I got like 24 city with me driving hard, but if I baby it and feather the throttle, on the highway for long distance trips I got 37mpg..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone in the UK want to sell me there Jb4? Think I have decided that's the one to go for

·
Registered
406 Posts
Funny story. I actually spoke with the JCW race team via social media about this exact question. All of the tuning boxes on the market essentially operate in the same fashion, with minor differences between them. They stated that a lot of the tuning modules on the market fall short of maintaining constant boost through the power band.

Per the JCW team:

"Most after market boost controller's only trick the ECU to change the boost numbers. How they do (where they connect to), really doesn't matter. The problem is, they haven't figured out how to maintain the target boost number all the way through the RPM band."

They also stated that they figured out how to create a boost module that does what the others fall short of and they may one day release it to the market. lol go figure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone else run a tuning box on top of the jcw tuning kit?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use JB4 on top of JCW tuning kit
I keep looking at the jb4 but keep getting put of by the fact you need to route cable through firewall, and the time it takes to install remove, not sure how long but guessing a while. I want something that is quick to fit and remove. Currently looking at the Dimsport Rapid, as dimsport are well known in the tuning game.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yes I'm not sure if I could have done it on my own... Had Performance Centre Sunderland (JB4 dealer) fit mine and they had to cut the cable and re-splice after fitting...
I would probably disconnect cable at the JB4 end and remove JB4 if needed leaving cable in place but disconnected from ODB2 port.

I did read someone on another forum saying they fed the cable in via the door similar to the way I had the USB cable fed through when I need to use the JB4 mobile app to my Android phone. This would be less tidy though doing it this way.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am supprised nobody seem to ever mention the TMC motorsport tuning module.German quality and avalible in the UK.
I have one on my JCW and i must say i love it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been considering tmc over racechip, not sure I just didn't like the website and I thought they were in Ireland ?

I've yet to email tmc for a printout over the gains made on the dyno on the f56 cooper s but the racechip claims 246bhp and 366nm which is pretty good

Tmc is also a little cheaper if I remember correctly

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been considering tmc over racechip, not sure I just didn't like the website and I thought they were in Ireland ?

I've yet to email tmc for a printout over the gains made on the dyno on the f56 cooper s but the racechip claims 246bhp and 366nm which is pretty good

I am supprised nobody seem to ever mention the TMC motorsport tuning module.German quality and avalible in the UK.
I have one on my JCW and i must say i love it.

I have looked at the TMC and Racechip but both cost around 400-450 inc vat which for me is to much money for something which just essentially adjust boost. If I go for a tuning box I didn't really want to spend much more than £300 all in.

·
Registered
615 Posts

Before/after figures would be useful to show gains.

Each Dyno seems to produce different figures and some are over optimistic hence why before/after at least before/after shows the gains done on same dyno/conditions

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
£400 for 192 to 246bhp is pretty **** good.

400£ is even better for 270-280 from likes of Celtic tuning etc. Although I am put of due to the fact there is no value left from that hence looking at the tuning box for now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
246bhp is plenty in a fwd car weighing as little as the mini does, I've had 300bhp in a focus rs and in the wet in was a pain in the arse when pushing on fast.

I do like the tuning box resell value and also the fact they reprogramme it once for free for your next car, well I know some of them offer this

Plus I think the f56 ecu needs to be physically opened up to map which is a bad idea on a brand new mini, something goes wrong I can't hide it like I could do with a tuning box

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
246bhp is plenty in a fwd car weighing as little as the mini does, I've had 300bhp in a focus rs and in the wet in was a pain in the arse when pushing on fast.

I do like the tuning box resell value and also the fact they reprogramme it once for free for your next car, well I know some of them offer this

Plus I think the f56 ecu needs to be physically opened up to map which is a bad idea on a brand new mini, something goes wrong I can't hide it like I could do with a tuning box

Totally agree with everything you said, how do I you find the mini when it comes to traction etc? Are you running run flats? I am really considering ditching them for a few reasons but mainly handling and traction.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts