Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am a owner of a MINI F56 JCW 2015. In september, the car starts to consume oil. Arround 1 liter every 1500 km. The mechanic told me that turbo needed a replacement because it had width. After this, the oil consuptiom reduced to 1 liter every 10.000 km. It is not too much. The problem is that de smoke never dissapear completely. I assume that some oil could be retains in the exhaust and It will dissapear after some kms.

The problem now is that a lot of smoke comes again from the exhaust. When the car is cold, there are not smoke but it appear after some kms. when de car is idle, there is not somke. After a short stop, the smoke is like the video.

¿pcv valve?

smoke mini f56 jcw

· Registered
47 Posts
Hello,
I am a owner of a MINI F56 JCW 2015. In september, the car starts to consume oil. Arround 1 liter every 1500 km. The mechanic told me that turbo needed a replacement because it had width. After this, the oil consuptiom reduced to 1 liter every 10.000 km. It is not too much. The problem is that de smoke never dissapear completely. I assume that some oil could be retains in the exhaust and It will dissapear after some kms.

The problem now is that a lot of smoke comes again from the exhaust. When the car is cold, there are not smoke but it appear after some kms. when de car is idle, there is not somke. After a short stop, the smoke is like the video.

¿pcv valve?

smoke mini f56 jcw
Residual oil would be gone the first time the exhaust was up to temperature.

PCV valve? Maybe. If it causes the crankcase to be subjected to too much low pressure this can result in smoking of the kind you are seeing. But when I had this problem -- with another brand of car -- the smoking was present upon cold start and was constant/steady with the engine idling. The intake walls were wet with oil, too. Even the throttle body which was upstream of where the crankcase vent hose connected to the intake was wet with oil.

Regardless, I'd certainly eliminate the PCV.

Other explanations are more expensive to address...

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your answer.

This kind of failure (smoke froom exhaust) is not easy to discover the origin of the problem.
Turbo was chande.Ok.

Other ideas:
-PCV
-EGR <--No fault in diagnosys.
-Valve Seals
-Piston rings

I have no alternative but to try one by one. From the cheapest to the most expensive. I can not find a lot of information about this fault in this motor model.

I will say that the motor is remapped with a DP 200 and Pro exhaust. Intake and IC is stock.

· Premium Member
168 Posts
+1 with @RockCrusher to start with the PCV
- If that's not the issue I would check the valve stem seals

If the smoke color from the exhaust was only white I would look into coolant leak inside the engine
+1 with @LazyLancer just to check the level and be on the safe side

This is a long shot but may be worth it...

Reach out to Sreten, he restores/repairs previous generation BMWs and has a YouTube channel m539 Restorations. Send him your video and get his opinion, it can't hurt and sometimes long shots pay off ;)

Good luck and keep us posted -Rich

· Registered
47 Posts
thanks for your answer.

This kind of failure (smoke froom exhaust) is not easy to discover the origin of the problem.
Turbo was chande.Ok.

Other ideas:
-PCV
-EGR <--No fault in diagnosys.
-Valve Seals
-Piston rings

I have no alternative but to try one by one. From the cheapest to the most expensive. I can not find a lot of information about this fault in this motor model.

I will say that the motor is remapped with a DP 200 and Pro exhaust. Intake and IC is stock.
Well, have to mention a turbo is no different from a water pump in that it can fail at any time.

If the intake piping walls are oily after the turbo that's a sign of the compressor side seals are bad.

For the exhaust side the exhaust has to be removed right after the turbo's turbine wheel. Then leak sign looked for.

For the valve stem seals unless they are loose/falling apart chances are they'll look ok. Worn valve stems and guides can compromise the valve stem seal performance. So you need to check for excessive valve stem wiggle.

At this point one might consider replacing the valve stem seals with new ones "while he is there"...

Rings may be diagnosed with a compression test. Low compression readings suggest the compression rings are worn and one can assume (but not with 100% confidence) the oil control rings are worn too. But the flip side is there is no rule that says both types of rings have to go bad together. An engine with bad oil control rings will smoke at hot idle. (But as I touched upon in a previous post a failed air/oil separator (a fancy PCV) can have the engine smoking at idle. (Cold idle.)

If you are going to go all the way to the rings you might consider just freshening the engine. But that's a whole 'nother thread.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hello,
I talk with my workshop and We decided to change the PCV in order to see if this works. In this car model, it comes integrated so 300€ is the price + mechanic hours.

I was reading and watching videos. The typical smoke problems can come from different motor parts. In some cases, you can detect the part based in the behaviour:

pistons ring: Smoke all the time, low and upper range.
valve seals: It is common to see smoke in the first start of the day and also after a shot stop
pvc: ... every car has his response with this fault. There are some oil consumption, oil in the motor or floor, noise...

We will change the pcv this week so we will see if this is the solution.

Mi car don´t make smoke in the start and with the cold engine. Only when it is high temperature. REally big smoke after idle or high rpm, and the oil consumption is arround 1,5 after 10.000km.

Will keep you posted

· Registered
47 Posts
hello,
I talk with my workshop and We decided to change the PCV in order to see if this works. In this car model, it comes integrated so 300€ is the price + mechanic hours.

I was reading and watching videos. The typical smoke problems can come from different motor parts. In some cases, you can detect the part based in the behaviour:

pistons ring: Smoke all the time, low and upper range.
valve seals: It is common to see smoke in the first start of the day and also after a shot stop
pvc: ... every car has his response with this fault. There are some oil consumption, oil in the motor or floor, noise...

We will change the pcv this week so we will see if this is the solution.

Mi car don´t make smoke in the start and with the cold engine. Only when it is high temperature. REally big smoke after idle or high rpm, and the oil consumption is arround 1,5 after 10.000km.

Will keep you posted
1.5l in 10,000km is approx. 1.5qts in 6,200 miles. As oil consumption goes that's up there but not by a scary amount.

Don't think you have mentioned kilometers on the engine but the engine might be due for a freshening up. Valve seals get replaced but the smoking continues. So now its ring time. Which could require new oversized pistons (and of course rings to match) which could require the cylinders be bored slightly oversized. New main/rod bearings provided the journals are ok. If not these have to be made ok. I was taught to if the engine is opened up new oil pump, water pump, T-stat are a must. Your car's engine might need valve train work besides new stems. I mentioned valve guide/stem wear.

IOWs you can do it one thing at a time or all at once.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
160.000 kms. If The motor needs all that maintenance, I will try to sell de car. The cost of all that repair is not cheap and it is not easy that the motor has same sensation with all that changes; like oversized cylinders...

I hope I don't get to that point

· Registered
47 Posts
I vote for piston oil rings and/or valve stem oil seals.
Valve stem seals maybe.

Oil rings? That's a lot of work to replace them. And with the number of kilometers on the engine and that the rings may be bad I think one would be very lucky if the new oil rings seated properly and worked effectively to reduce oil consumption.

As I touched upon the oil consumption is not severe. But I have to admit the constant smoking would bother me.

I rebuilt an engine (Chrysler V8) and got a valve job done with new valve stem seals among other things.

In the block I replaced the rings but not the pistons nor did I bore the cylinders. I did borrow a hand power hone from work (I worked at a machine shop) and honed the cylinders just enough to give them a finish to help the rings seat.

I measured the bores before and after the honing and they were oversize but still within spec.

Rings seated just fine. Smoking and oil consumption wasn't a problem before. I was in the engine to address worn out camshaft bearings which cut oil pressure to the lifters and had the lifters noisy as all heck.

Afterwards engine was very quiet and smooth running. More than once I tried to start the already running engine.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hello,
Today, the mechanic, is chaging the PCV and the valve stem seals. We decided to change also the stem seals because it is not necessary to open the cylinder head.

At the end of this week I will inform you about the result.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts