Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are there three different rim sizes? When I ordered my 4-door Cooper, I just picked the middle size, 17 inch. I assume the tire diameter stays the same regardless of the rim, or am I wrong?

Bobby D.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Overall diameter is the same, the profile of the tyre changes, the larger diameter the lower the profile tyre. 16" wheels have 195mm wide 55 profile tyres 17" wheels have 205mm wide 45 profile tyres. So steering, ride and grip/handling are all affected. My previous R56 Mini 17" wheels had flat spots due to potholes. Not so much a problem on the F56 which has more suspension travel.

·
Super Moderator
7,900 Posts
Why not gives you more choice in terms of looks nd ride handling economy compromise. Personalisation is key to mini which is why I love them.

Reactions: sride90

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think that the 17" is the best balance between looks, performance and comfort. When I get my winter tires though, I'll probably go with 16" tires and wheels since winter performance is usually dependent on more tire and less wheel. I think that 16" winter tires are usually less expensive too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why are there three different rim sizes? When I ordered my 4-door Cooper, I just picked the middle size, 17 inch. I assume the tire diameter stays the same regardless of the rim, or am I wrong?

Bobby D.
Oops, there are actually four different sizes: 15,16,17 and 18 inch to choose from. What would you base your choice on?

Bobby D.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Oops, there are actually four different sizes: 15,16,17 and 18 inch to choose from. What would you base your choice on?

Bobby D.
I think jabberwocky had it right - it comes down to:
- Price
- looks
- performance
- comfort

Bigger wheels look better and will perform (a little) better, but cost more and have a harsher ride. 18"s were a little too harsh for my taste, so I opted for the 17"s, which still look good and are easier to find tires for without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Mine got 16 Inch Rims pretty happy with them. Down the Road I will upgrade to 17 Inch Rims. If you have a lot of Pot Holes in your Town the 16 Inch Rim might be a better Choice because of the extra Side Wall and less a chance you damage your Rims.

·
Registered
37 Posts
On mid size cars, 17" is minimum, on larger cars 18" is minimum when it comes down to looks. But on the Mini I think that 16" is acceptable... (Even the 15" are ok, since they fit the Minis retro look)

Where I live, the original rims are extremely expensive (and the dealer knows it). An upgrade from 15" - 16" victory spoke costs £1500, therefor I will go for after market rims in 16" and I can keep the original 15" as winter wheels...

So depending on where you live and how you look at your car and use it, there can be many reasons for choosing wheels...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got the Fully Loaded package on mine, so it came with 16" rims. I had no interested in paying anything for bigger rims, which would require I purchase more expensive tires at some point. Getting the black victory spoke rims was a no cost upgrade when already at 16", so I went with those since they match the colour scheme of my car better. But to me rim size is pretty low on the list of things I'm interested in spending money on.

I know, sacrilege on a car enthusiast board...

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Registered
505 Posts
I got the Fully Loaded package on mine, so it came with 16" rims. I had no interested in paying anything for bigger rims, which would require I purchase more expensive tires at some point. Getting the black victory spoke rims was a no cost upgrade when already at 16", so I went with those since they match the colour scheme of my car better. But to me rim size is pretty low on the list of things I'm interested in spending money on.

I know, sacrilege on a car enthusiast board...
I went with the 16 Victory Spokes too (only in silver). Glad I did. I like the balance between performance and looks. I'd be hating hitting some of the roads I've been on in the last week (even around home) with 18s. And so far, nobody has actually guessed they are 16s. The most common guess is 17, so it's passing the eyeball test just fine with the non-Mini crowd.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I went with the 16 Victory Spokes too (only in silver). Glad I did. I like the balance between performance and looks. I'd be hating hitting some of the roads I've been on in the last week (even around home) with 18s. And so far, nobody has actually guessed they are 16s. The most common guess is 17, so it's passing the eyeball test just fine with the non-Mini crowd.
Which just goes to show it is all in the eye of the beholder. The colour scheme of our cars is identical (other than yours being an S) and to your eye the silver rims looked best, and to mine the black. :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
It seems worth saying, on the subject of rim sizes, that I believe the vast majority of drivers would prefer to drive a car with 15" wheels, if looks were not a factor. Much nicer to steer with less kickback, lighter and more nimble handling, more comfortable (slightly), more economical (slightly), and cheaper to replace.

If the driver regularly takes the car up to the limit of its cornering grip, then larger wheels will give a benefit in grip - but my observation is that these are a tiny proportion of drivers.

Like wearing really high heels, bigger wheels may look good but are not the the best choice for most people.

"But they have bigger numbers, so they must be better" is for adolescent boys (and men who still think that way).

·
Registered
102 Posts
It seems worth saying, on the subject of rim sizes, that I believe the vast majority of drivers would prefer to drive a car with 15" wheels, if looks were not a factor. Much nicer to steer with less kickback, lighter and more nimble handling, ...
My first MINI, an R50, was on 15" wheels and nimble is the exact word I used when talking about the handling, something I really missed when I changed to an R53 on 16" wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
18" with runflats

I selected the 18" based upon looks. The larger body of the F56 looked to me like it needed wheels greater than 17".
I upgraded from a R53 MCS with 17" & runflats which was a harsh ride on bumpy roads.
The F56 with 18" and runflats is a surprisingly smooth ride, and a big improvement on R53.
If you are worried about the ride of 18" (not the cost) I would suggest a test drive to get a feel for the ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts