Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all read lots about this American epa thing. What does epa stand for and what is the delay and why. Help!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Environmental Protection Agency.

I'd guess they're the ones that have a say in vehicles emissions before they're released for sale?

Seems a bit bonkers though that a vast proportion of American cars are V8's, but a little 2 litre 4-pot has issues passing their tests?

Maybe there's more to it, we need some someone from over the pond to chime in and clear it up :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its a USA environmental protection agency halt on further deliveries for the American market until firm fuel efficiency figures are agreed and documented...I had read it is due to be resolved before the start of October.

It is red tape - poor show that Mini USA has taken this long to resolve this one...

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
The EPA is testing the MINI Hardtop on September 16th and they are hoping to have the results back on the 21st allowing them to release the cars on October 1st.

They switched engines on the Cooper S HT to the SULE(V) B46 engine - that might have something to do with the delay. Why the Cooper also? Not sure, best not to speculate

To the "red tape" and "poor show" statement above - please do not perpetuate the wrong ideas. There are so many LOYAL MOTORISTS that are willing to bash MINI at the drop of a hat. If you have any doubt about the speed this is moving along, please do more research about what is involved. How long processes take even at full speed. Look at all the steps there are in certifying a car with the EPA. There is a lot to do!

As I said in another thread, MINI wants to sell these cars to us. That's what a business does. They want to figure this out and get our Hardtops delivered ASAP.

Going slow (and not making future mistakes) is to protect us as drivers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The explanation my dealer gave me when I ordered on August 31, was that MINI said the car gives 41 mpg and then someone came along and questioned that number and said that it really only gives 37 mpg (not sure of the exact numbers). He said that Honda had a similar problem and to this day they have to give their customers gift cards to make up for the mileage they would have gotten if the numbers were correct.

MINI wants to make sure, so they don't end up having to do the same thing.

Dealer made it sound like it's not MINI's fault.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The EPA is testing the MINI Hardtop on September 16th and they are hoping to have the results back on the 21st allowing them to release the cars on October 1st.

They switched engines on the Cooper S HT to the SULE(V) B46 engine - that might have something to do with the delay. Why the Cooper also? Not sure, best not to speculate

To the "red tape" and "poor show" statement above - please do not perpetuate the wrong ideas. There are so many LOYAL MOTORISTS that are willing to bash MINI at the drop of a hat. If you have any doubt about the speed this is moving along, please do more research about what is involved. How long processes take even at full speed. Look at all the steps there are in certifying a car with the EPA. There is a lot to do!

As I said in another thread, MINI wants to sell these cars to us. That's what a business does. They want to figure this out and get our Hardtops delivered ASAP.

Going slow (and not making future mistakes) is to protect us as drivers.
It is red tape (it's publishing calculated fuel efficiency data, not fixing a fundamental safety issue) and it is a poor show and it isn't bashing MINI.

This is poor management of putting a product to market; employees of the brand have made mistakes which has materialy cost BMW - loaning cars out left right and centre is not free, cancelling orders through missing deadlines is expensive; releasing a product, changing the spec and then re-relasing will tarnish any brand. Brand damage will have occurred and it has nothing to do with my views, yours or those of others.

I am sure everyone involved corporately is moving at a Herculean pace to resolve it, and so they should, they have customer contracts at hand; my point was simply that it should not have happened in the first place.

A consumer defending poor managerial performance of a highly successful multinational making a substantial profit on everything it sells proves that marketing works.

It doesn't make me like the product any less; I suspect the management involved won't be getting bonuses this year.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thank you Peter et al for commenting on this.

This issue has affected me directly and the topic has my keen interest. My angst declined greatly shortly after BMW/MINI and my dealer granted a loaner MINI to me; I seriously NEEDED a vehicle and had that not occurred I most likely would have had to abandon my 2015 MINI in Baltimore and make difficult choices.

Whatever the cause, regardless of fault, they demonstrated that they would take care of me. I wonder if any of the other car companies have done this before? GM, Toyota maybe?

Anyway, I'm no longer counting the days. Waiting is.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Thank you Peter et al for commenting on this.

This issue has affected me directly and the topic has my keen interest. My angst declined greatly shortly after BMW/MINI and my dealer granted a loaner MINI to me; I seriously NEEDED a vehicle and had that not occurred I most likely would have had to abandon my 2015 MINI in Baltimore and make difficult choices.

Whatever the cause, regardless of fault, they demonstrated that they would take care of me. I wonder if any of the other car companies have done this before? GM, Toyota maybe?

Anyway, I'm no longer counting the days. Waiting is.
Hey Leslie I don't think GM or Toyota care about customers. They sell so many cars it's just about the bottom line. BMW have historically taken matters personally. I know from a 1994 experience. I'm happy that they have taken care of those including yourself in need of an auto. Looking forward to seeing you Mini ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems crazy when there are so many gas guzzlers in the USA and when European emissions are so strict. Hope it is sorted asap as these cars are amazing.than k you I understand now.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hope this gets sorted soon for our American friends.

Totally ironic that they publish fuel figures in the UK that no one ever gets near and hardly anyone bats an eyelid!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.