Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking at jumping in to a JCW from an m135i as the 25mpg (uk) that we are getting is insists due to a new job for he Mrs. Will I likely see a better return from the JCW? Hoping for around 35ish. Any UK owners able to give me up to date real world numbers? Might end up with a normal cooper s or even an sd if the numbers don't add up

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
539 Posts
;) Mid fifty from an sd with added ponies, is possible

But what's your daily drive and annual mileage :nerd:

·
Registered
615 Posts
I saw your post on babybmw.. I dont have a jcw but a cooper s with jcw tuning kit which maybe similar mpg to jcw...

I get 31 mpg in mini compared to 25 mpg in my m135 when it was std.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
I drove my M135i (hard!) for about 2 years before trading it in for my JCW (which I also drive fairly hard).

I had been hoping for a significant improvement in gas mileage, but after 6000 km in the JCW I am finding very little difference, perhaps 3-5% improvement at max. The only time I see a big improvement is when I am doing long highway miles in economy mode - there the JCW is probably 30-40% better - problem is I never use eco mode... :)

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
320 Posts
So far, 2000 miles of mixed but 70% motorway driving 43.4mpg overall. Hit 47mpg on a good 65-70mph cruise controlled run. I am good with right foot on motorway and around town but absolutely give it the beans at the weekend. I use eco mode when not gunning it. Manual. Others will slate me for my economical style 0:) but to me it means my work expenses effectively pay for it..... I'd think 35+ should be possible whatever your mix is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like this may not be the best option for me then unfortunately. Surprising considering it's a litre smaller engine, but nevermind. Maybe a normal cooper s or the sd.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thats on Tesco Super-U by the way, not that it seems to make much difference..... But thats another thread......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Been running my JCW for a month and 1000 miles in west London.... Driving is town mostly on Eco mode and switch to sports mode on dual carriage way (50/50). Average is pretty much 35 mpg. If I do motorway at 75, it goes up to 39 mpg average.

·
Registered
320 Posts
TBH I was suprised how good it was and how easy it is to hit the manufacturers combined mpg figure. Had years of Audi/BMW diesels which frankly I could never get anywhere near the claims. In sport it seems to chuck half the petrol into the hot manifold to make it pop and bang when you back off the throttle..... Worth every penny :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mini should lend you one for a day's test drive, they did for me anyway, and 100 miles later my fears were put to bed. Lots of people on here seem to hate eco mode, but for me its an essential day to day button to make it cost effective. Depends on your circumstance, type and number of miles you do and ammount of cash in your pocket I guess. If you cant afford to run it, dont buy it. I can, but prefer to spend some of my spare cash on beer as well as petrol ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mini should lend you one for a day's test drive, they did for me anyway, and 100 miles later my fears were put to bed. Lots of people on here seem to hate eco mode, but for me its an essential day to day button to make it cost effective. Depends on your circumstance, type and number of miles you do and ammount of cash in your pocket I guess. If you cant afford to run it, dont buy it. I can, but prefer to spend some of my spare cash on beer as well as petrol ;)

Will they likely provide one for a days test drive if looking at a 2nd hand motor?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I've now done over 10k miles in my JCW auto, coming from an M135 auto. In simple terms yes the economy will be better. To get good MPG on a motorway I always had to use Eco mode on the M135, never touched that mode on the JCW in 11 months of ownership :)

One big difference is that you will fill up more often, the stupidly small tank on the JCW means you get 350 miles from a tank at best. I drive the JCW in manual about 60% of the time, which doesn't help the economy much either.

The JCW is not an economical car, but it's more economical than an M135 with 3 litres and 6 cylinders ! (about 2/3 of that maybe :) ?)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've just recently changed from a 2016 M135i to a 2016 MCS with the JCW Tuning Kit.

Average MPG on the M135i over the 1 year and 11k miles I had it - 18 to 19mpg
It was also ready for a set of new rear tyres.
The fronts needed changing too. The outside edges were horribly worn.

I've only had the Mini for a week, but (my girlfriend) has done over 300 miles in sport mode with the exhaust turned on and it's returned 29.4mpg. Not bad for a new engine that isn't going through the nanny state running in proceedure. (ie, once it's warm it gets its t*ts kicked in)

Given the fact that the tyres `should' last longer than the have on the BMW, and the fact that tax and insurance is cheaper than the BMW, Even if your MPG figures stay they same (which they won't) you will be saving money anyway.

For what it's worth.
I don't regret getting rid of my M135i at all, it was a fantastic car. But for sheer fun and pleasure of driving, it doesn't come close to the Mini.

Edited to add.
The BMW was only ever ran on Shell V Power or Tesco Momentum and only driven in Sport + with the Autobox in sport mode also. Never ever was it put in to Ecopro
The (Manual) Mini is driven in a similar manner too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've just recently changed from a 2016 M135i to a 2016 MCS with the JCW Tuning Kit.

Average MPG on the M135i over the 1 year and 11k miles I had it - 18 to 19mpg
It was also ready for a set of new rear tyres.
The fronts needed changing too. The outside edges were horribly worn.

I've only had the Mini for a week, but (my girlfriend) has done over 300 miles in sport mode with the exhaust turned on and it's returned 29.4mpg. Not bad for a new engine that isn't going through the nanny state running in proceedure. (ie, once it's warm it gets its t*ts kicked in)

Given the fact that the tyres `should' last longer than the have on the BMW, and the fact that tax and insurance is cheaper than the BMW, Even if your MPG figures stay they same (which they won't) you will be saving money anyway.

For what it's worth.
I don't regret getting rid of my M135i at all, it was a fantastic car. But for sheer fun and pleasure of driving, it doesn't come close to the Mini.

Edited to add.
The BMW was only ever ran on Shell V Power or Tesco Momentum and only driven in Sport + with the Autobox in sport mode also. Never ever was it put in to Ecopro
The (Manual) Mini is driven in a similar manner too.

Thanks for the reply mate. What made you go for MCS with tuning kit rather than just get a JCW? I assume the performance of the 2 will be similar once you have the tuning kit installed?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've now done over 10k miles in my JCW auto, coming from an M135 auto. In simple terms yes the economy will be better. To get good MPG on a motorway I always had to use Eco mode on the M135, never touched that mode on the JCW in 11 months of ownership :)

One big difference is that you will fill up more often, the stupidly small tank on the JCW means you get 350 miles from a tank at best. I drive the JCW in manual about 60% of the time, which doesn't help the economy much either.

The JCW is not an economical car, but it's more economical than an M135 with 3 litres and 6 cylinders ! (about 2/3 of that maybe :) ?)

Thanks mate. How much of a difference do you think driving in manual makes? I will be getting an auto and it will be driven by the Mrs day to day in auto and probably normal mode. Does the Eco mode on mini kill throttle response like it does on the m135?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the reply mate. What made you go for MCS with tuning kit rather than just get a JCW? I assume the performance of the 2 will be similar once you have the tuning kit installed?

Honest answer .... Price difference initially.

The plan was to get rid of the BMW and buy a car and motorbike for the same monthly outlay as what the BMW was.

I bought myself a new Ducati Scrambler which got the bike part of the deal covered.
A new Cooper S with a few extras ticked would have brought the monthlies to the same as the BMW.

What actually happened is, we pretty much ticked every option for the Cooper S, and then went and added the JCW Tuning Kit (with carbon tips of course for a bit more added expense!) which brought the purchase price to somewhere close (or even a bit more) than what a standard JCW would be.

Do i wish I had bought a JCW instead? Absolutely not! I love the Cooper S and like the fact that it's that little bit more discrete than the JCW, plus it means that my car gets over looked when the exhaust is turned on with it's riot of rifle cracks and bangs being unleashed behind because its `Just a normal Mini'

Had I bought a JCW in the spec I would have wanted too, it would have pushed the list price to somewhere very close to what the BMW is, and to be fair, that didn't sit to comfortably with me either.

Where you based at? Could you get to drive both a Cooper S with the JCW Tuning Kit and a proper JCW too and compare them back to back?
If you are anywhere near the north east I have no problem taking you out in mine, and I know Cooper Mini in Durham have a JCW on demo that you could easily get a drive of too.

I will add though, if you do go for a Cooper S you HAVE to add the JCW Tuning Kit too, especially if you have had the M Performance exhaust on your BMW.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honest answer .... Price difference initially.

The plan was to get rid of the BMW and buy a car and motorbike for the same monthly outlay as what the BMW was.

I bought myself a new Ducati Scrambler which got the bike part of the deal covered.

A new Cooper S with a few extras ticked would have brought the monthlies to the same as the BMW.

What actually happened is, we pretty much ticked every option for the Cooper S, and then went and added the JCW Tuning Kit (with carbon tips of course for a bit more added expense!) which brought the purchase price to somewhere close (or even a bit more) than what a standard JCW would be.

Do i wish I had bought a JCW instead? Absolutely not! I love the Cooper S and like the fact that it's that little bit more discrete than the JCW, plus it means that my car gets over looked when the exhaust is turned on with it's riot of rifle cracks and bangs being unleashed behind because its `Just a normal Mini'

Had I bought a JCW in the spec I would have wanted too, it would have pushed the list price to somewhere very close to what the BMW is, and to be fair, that didn't sit to comfortably with me either.

Where you based at? Could you get to drive both a Cooper S with the JCW Tuning Kit and a proper JCW too and compare them back to back?

If you are anywhere near the north east I have no problem taking you out in mine, and I know Cooper Mini in Durham have a JCW on demo that you could easily get a drive of too.

I will add though, if you do go for a Cooper S you HAVE to add the JCW Tuning Kit too, especially if you have had the M Performance exhaust on your BMW.

Fair enough, sounds like you are more than happy with your new wheels.

Unfortunately I am far away from the north east as I am in Sussex but I will do some digging and see if anyone has them locally.

Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Will they likely provide one for a days test drive if looking at a 2nd hand motor?
Yeah, most dealers have JCW demonstrators, doubt they'll lend you the actual second hand car, but it doesnt matter if its a bit newer or a few less miles. Its all part of the bargaining process I guess. Its twenty grand of your hard earned money, you need to try properly before you buy and not with the dealer's nanny sat next to you talking it up and putting you under pressure. I didnt have to ask, it was almost the first thing they said - we can let you have one for the day aslong as not Sat or Sun as they were busy. I guess they know what happens with a JCW when you get back....... Kerrrching!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.