Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been driving the new ride for a few weeks now and I'm noticing a lot of wind noise coming from the driver's window. Sounds like the window is open just the slightest bit. I keep checking that the window is shut all the way and from what I can tell it is so maybe this is just normal but I feel like it should be quieter. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I read a road test of the F56 last week and they said there was more wind noise than usual apparent with the F56, probably because of the more upright screen than other cars.
So to a certain extent you have to expect it though in my case the tyres seem to make the most noise, but I don't mind that!

Another noise which can develop is squeaks from the door window glass as it rubs on the rubber surround as the car goes over non-smooth roads. Can become quite annoying, but an application of silicon rubber spray, applied to the rubber seal around the door where the glass touches, fixes it. Works for me anyway!

·
Registered
844 Posts
BMW do a special treatment spray for rubber seals called Gummipflege (not sure about spelling!). This is good stuff to use if your windows start to chatter against the seals.

I am on my third r56 and it was only the first one in 2007 that did this.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My F56 was quiet all round for about two weeks and then the drivers door window started to squeak against its seals, and was really annoying considering how quiet the rest of the car is apart from the tyre noise.
I read on another Mini forum, for older Minis, the answer is to use silicon spray which is only about £4 in Halfrauds, and is useful for other things too, and it worked a treat.

So glad it was so easily sorted.

·
Registered
303 Posts
So I've been driving the new ride for a few weeks now and I'm noticing a lot of wind noise coming from the driver's window. Sounds like the window is open just the slightest bit. I keep checking that the window is shut all the way and from what I can tell it is so maybe this is just normal but I feel like it should be quieter. Has anyone else noticed this?
My F56 is very quiet - but a previous R56 had a noisy driver's window on delivery...

It was easily cured by a quick tweak at the dealer's workshop, using a special measuring tool they have.

In that instance, the window was dropping too far when the door was opened - perhaps that's the issue?

Also, I've mentioned before on this forum that the F56 on runflats (Pirelli in my case) is much quieter & more comfortable than my previous R56 models.

I hope your dealer can make a quick fix for you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have used Autoglym rubber and trim treatment as alternative on different cars which does the same. Also remember to do this before winter sets in as when it's cold the window sticks to the rubber and will either not open or if it does will damage the rubber.

·
Registered
303 Posts
We saw them adjusting the window drop distance on the factory tour.
Yes! Just before the guy who 'teases' the bonnet into shape so that the shut-lines are 4mm...!!

When I was on the tour, he was attacking one particular car with gusto!

The door-adjusting guys were interesting to watch too... if F56 owners can get to Oxford, you should definitely take the factory tour.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I read a road test of the F56 last week and they said there was more wind noise than usual apparent with the F56, probably because of the more upright screen than other cars.
So to a certain extent you have to expect it though in my case the tyres seem to make the most noise, but I don't mind that!

Another noise which can develop is squeaks from the door window glass as it rubs on the rubber surround as the car goes over non-smooth roads. Can become quite annoying, but an application of silicon rubber spray, applied to the rubber seal around the door where the glass touches, fixes it. Works for me anyway!
I´m having the squeaks problem, would you care to explain a little more on how and where to apply the silicon rubber spray... I might try it myself! if possible with pictures hehe hope it´s not too much trouble

·
Registered
508 Posts
Beware silicon spray, as you are building up future problems with squeaks. The best solution is the exact opposite - silicone remover, sold by BMW dealers, which cleans the seal so that it flexes in order to remain stuck to the window.

It may sound attractive to use silicone but that just encourages the very movement between glass and seal that causes the squeak. At first the silicon will stop that movement from causing a squeak, but the squeak is pretty much guaranteed to return unless you keep spraying.

·
Registered
95 Posts
BMW do a special treatment spray for rubber seals called Gummipflege (not sure about spelling!). This is good stuff to use if your windows start to chatter against the seals.

I am on my third r56 and it was only the first one in 2007 that did this.
Read about this on a BMW forum site and BMW stopped making this as it contained silicon, and caused damage to the rubber.They make a new gel but it is four times as much, people on there were saying to use autoglym rubber protecter as it the best and doesn't contain silicon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Correcting any issues should not be at your own expense with a brand new car. If if happens to me I will sure as he'll be taking it to Mini to fix at their expense.
Totally agree with you on this one that's what warranties are for, can't understand why people are doing it themselves on a new car. BMW have a special liquid/gel for this so let them fux it till warranty runs out then buy the liquid/gel yourself as it is about £40 a pot so let BMW repair till you have to start paying.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.