Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the problem now since new (six-months old) after leaving the car parked or in the garage when I return one or both windows are down almost to the fully open position.

Its happened about six times. Most often, its either the driver's side or passenger side but sometimes both. Sometimes in a car park some times at home in the garage. It was in the garage all day yesterday with the windows closed, this morning both windows were down with only about an inch of glass showing.

I have had the dealer 'fix' the problem in March (presumably they did a re-set of some sort) but its now re-occurring, any idea why? Its a UK spec. Cooper with pepper pack.

I will be contacting the dealer again but want to know if anybody has had similar issues?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you always have your car key in your pocket? When you press the unlock button for a few seconds, the windows will roll down. The lock button will roll them up again.

When sitting, it could happen the button gets just enough pressure to send a signal...

·
Super Moderator
7,900 Posts
Or it's an electrical gremlin? issue with wiring loom etc. Further dealer investigation sounds essential!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your comments....

Did you check the boot/trunk for gremlins?
The boot is difficult to close fully it requires a good drop height otherwise its not fully latched. But I make sure its fully closed and other than that I have no boot issues I know of.

Do you always have your car key in your pocket? When you press the unlock button for a few seconds, the windows will roll down. The lock button will roll them up again.

When sitting, it could happen the button gets just enough pressure to send a signal...

I've considered that but it only powers down or up both windows I think, not left or right only randomly as I get sometimes? I can see it happening with both windows but it needs about 20secs continuous pressure (I've simulated it from a distance but locked in the garage). Possible on occasions so I'm removing from my other keys and keeping it out of pockets as far as possible on a lanyard. I haven't noticed yet if can is still locked despite the windows being down - often I been unlocking the car before noticing the windows open.

Or it's an electrical gremlin? issue with wiring loom etc. Further dealer investigation sounds essential!
I have booked it in with a different dealer for a second opinion. I will try to investigate further if it occurs again before it goes in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When this happens, does it result in the car being unlocked and the alarm off?
It could be a key fob problem. Can you move at least one of the key fobs away from the car so it is out of range and can't do anything to the car, then swap the fobs over to see if it only happens with one of them?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still trying to confirm if it results in the car being unlocked and the alarm being off.

The problem is noticing the condition of the window glasses up/down ahead of actually unlocking the car. Its normally too late and the car is unlocked!

·
Registered
389 Posts
OP. For the windows to be moved up/down. The car would need to be powered up. And the car won't be powered up if the dead locks are on and the alarm set. You can prove this by sitting in the car and locking it with the remote. You should not be able to lower the windows. So .The fault would suggest the car in being unlocked and powered up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had this problem with my 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman. I'd never had it before, but I just got a new, second key fob for it. Now that seems suspicious. Thanks for your suggestion Motty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2003 Mini Cooper S Windows and sunroof fully open by itself

Hi, the last 3 weeks my mini windows and sunroof fully opened by itself all at once regardless whether its locked or unlock. Does anyone knows what causes them to open by itself and what is the remedy, please help anyone. I know its very old by I love my mini.

Linda

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the problem now since new (six-months old) after leaving the car parked or in the garage when I return one or both windows are down almost to the fully open position.

Its happened about six times. Most often, its either the driver's side or passenger side but sometimes both. Sometimes in a car park some times at home in the garage. It was in the garage all day yesterday with the windows closed, this morning both windows were down with only about an inch of glass showing.

I have had the dealer 'fix' the problem in March (presumably they did a re-set of some sort) but its now re-occurring, any idea why? Its a UK spec. Cooper with pepper pack.

I will be contacting the dealer again but want to know if anybody has had similar issues?
I just had the same problem on a 2006.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My windows would open completely on my 2001 Porsche 911. This kept happening for about 6 months, then stopped and behaved itself for the last 2 years of ownership. Frameless windows have so many switches and sensors in the door handles to operate the 10mm drop when you open a door. Dampness in these switches can cause eratic behaviour. I think I counted about 6 sensors each side for Porsche. I'm sure my Mini's frameless windows operate in a similar way.

·
Super Moderator
7,900 Posts
Don't forget folks, that this is for the f series 2014 on Minis-and the issues could be very different to your older r series cars. You may find you get better advice on other forums.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts