Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone else noticed this? i read about it on North America Motoring and my S is showing the same issue - excess wash fluid from the washer jet (just the passenger side one on mine) leaking around the base of the washer nozzle & running down the bonnet. I've taken a picture as there are reports of this damaging the paint & stripes if you have them fitted. i'll try to clean it off tonight at home & see if it has left any marks

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I had this right from the day I picked it up in bright sunshine. It happened again a couple of times and has had a minor effect on the paintwork, as you describe.

However, it has not happened since. I don't know if it's related to pressure when the reservoir is full, or to expansion from heat due to sunlight (both times it was on very hot days), heat from the engine or some other cause.

Oli

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have actually received an email from MINI about 2 weeks ago saying there is a known issue of the opposite actually. Apparently one of the hoses for the washer fluid was too short and it was causing a shortage, or lack, of fluid from coming out due to kinking or completely disconnecting. I have actually yet to hear of the issue you are describing though until now.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine doesnt look to have caused any paint damage. I wiped it off with some QD and it reappeared half an hour later. I gave the screen a good few seconds wash and it hasnt leaked again yet

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
has anyone else noticed this? i read about it on North America Motoring and my S is showing the same issue - excess wash fluid from the washer jet (just the passenger side one on mine) leaking around the base of the washer nozzle & running down the bonnet. I've taken a picture as there are reports of this damaging the paint & stripes if you have them fitted. i'll try to clean it off tonight at home & see if it has left any marks
Dropped off my car today for this problem. The dealer is going to change to seals on the washer jets and fix my hood. I saw it upon delivery and they have contacted Mini NA to fix the car to my liking.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I haven't really had a proper leak again... just a small accumulation around the base of the nozzle (which I've cleaned away).

Reading around on google, this seems to be a problem with earlier mini models too. Various theories... the fluid heats up due to sunny weather or heat from the engine and expands. It leaks out and damages the paint and bonnet stripes. Can happen on the rear washer too... that one is integrated into the wiper "hub" for us. Another suggestion was that opening the bonnet provokes it.

Mini have fixed it under warranty before with one way check valves, or something to reduce the pressure. And they have repaired damage and replaced stripes. Some owners blame the mini washer fluid itself and replacing that has solved it. Others say heat shielding under the bonnet works (I seem to have a covering over the area already).

Anyway, good luck with the sunroof Hat... at least you don't need it with all the storms this weekend!

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Had this happen to mine too! First day. I haven't noticed it since. It did leave some spotting on the hood that I couldn't easily remove with washing (black paint). I will try to clay bar it.
Let the dealer do the fix.. They replace the seals for the washers and put check valves in. They then had the body shop properly fix the paint. Last but least they replaced the bonnet stripes, not too mention a full detail ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Let the dealer do the fix.. They replace the seals for the washers and put check valves in. They then had the body shop properly fix the paint. Last but least they replaced the bonnet stripes, not too mention a full detail ;)
Good to know! Sounds like they took it to the nines for you. If it leaks again I'll definitely go this route.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts