Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I've just been on mytyres.co.uk and see they now supply sets of alloys/winter tyres for the F56.

Only 16" is available for the MCS and I just wanted to check if any of you lot know if the rim size specified will fit.....

6.50J x 16 OS 50mm

Does anyone have 16" fitted on their MCS (I know there is a 16" option) ...

mytyres are giving a price of anything between £450 and £700 for a set of wheels/tyres. Tempted by Goodyear Ultragrip 8 Performance .... coming in at £616! (I was almost £900 alone for tyres for my RCZ!)

MINI still don't have sets available but the parts manager said 16" wheels for the R56 were in the region of £1500 ......:eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Donna

Hows about just enjoying the summer first and we will all worry about the winter when it comes!

:D

Get them now while they're cheap!! First sniff of frost and the price will rocket!

...and in Aberdeen, winter could start in a few weeks .... we've already had the longest day - the nights are drawin' in!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well, the standard 16" wheel is 6.5Jx16 ET54 (5x112mm) so those Dezents are only 4mm different in offset - and even gentleman gnats don't think 4mm is very much. Do they supply spigot rings if they don't have the right centre bore? And of course you still have to add the £200ish for TPMS sensors as I bet those prices don't include them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd have to check out the rings issue (I was gonna leave this to the OH to be honest!)
When I got my wheels swapped last week I asked the service guy if a. the replacement wheels had sensors and b. if the needed recalibrating.

He said there was no actual sensors in the wheels and the car works out the pressures when the car is moving (which it did). I think he said it was worked out on the wheel radius but don't quote me on it.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I'd have to check out the rings issue (I was gonna leave this to the OH to be honest!)
When I got my wheels swapped last week I asked the service guy if a. the replacement wheels had sensors and b. if the needed recalibrating.

He said there was no actual sensors in the wheels and the car works out the pressures when the car is moving (which it did). I think he said it was worked out on the wheel radius but don't quote me on it.
Just looked into this and sadly there are in the F56. Each wheel has a little radio device that measures the tyre pressure. That is why you can see the pressure for each corner of the car in the central display now. Previous MINI's didn't have this system.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Interesting - the F56 parts diagram above shows both traditional tyre valves (item 6) and valves with TPMS sensors (item 11). Everything I've read says that MINI have gone to TPMS wheel sensors for all markets, not just for the USA as with the R56.

So, to be clear, you have had tyres changed on the wheels that your new F56 wheels came with and the fitter said there were not any wheel sensors?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I had complete wheel swap - car was delivered with the wrong wheels.

So you guys are telling me the parts manager in MINI is telling me cr*p as well?? ..... Jeezus!

I wonder what the car would be like with aftermarket wheels then ... would it continually have a hissy fit 'cos it couldn't sense the sensors? I'm not all that bothered about the sensors anyway, I can work a pressure guage :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
It's probably a bit early for the parts people to be very clued up on F56 parts, they should be I know. Then again they don't have time to use all these forums during the day.

They won't have had to replace any F56 tyres yet, and the fact you had a complete wheel/tyre swap means they didn't have to split those either.

I think it's actually little goblins living in each wheel that keep an eye on the pressure. Not to be confused with gremlins, which may yet be found elsewhere...

IIRC the grey MCS with white aftermarket wheels swapped the sensors over (rehoused the goblins...)

I'm hoping to get the winter wheel/tyre package from JC, although I'll probably take my wheels home with me, I like being able to swap them at my leisure, instead of having to go back up there.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Although some way off, it is now an MOT fail if the TPMS light is on, or disabled.

So it can't be ignored, even if the tyres are fine.

A replacement set of sensors, for when their batteries die, is about £200 ( so I have read) but probably less if you can import them.

·
Registered
508 Posts
... would it continually have a hissy fit 'cos it couldn't sense the sensors?
It will certainly throw up an error message every time you drive if the car is expecting TPMS sensors, judging by what the Americans say about R56s (which have had TPMS in the US for many years).

My guess is that it will also stop other things from working - odd stuff, like the cruise control won't engage or the stop/start won't work, minor s**t like that.

But I stress that I've just read that all Euro F56s will have TPMS and don;t know it for 100% certain.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It will certainly throw up an error message every time you drive if the car is expecting TPMS sensors, judging by what the Americans say about R56s (which have had TPMS in the US for many years).

My guess is that it will also stop other things from working - odd stuff, like the cruise control won't engage or the stop/start won't work, minor s**t like that.

But I stress that I've just read that all Euro F56s will have TPMS and don;t know it for 100% certain.
In Portugal TPMS is standard item for any F56

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not likely to have my winter set on when I get an MOT in June though ;)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I asked the question to a friend of a fried of a friend (you get the idea) who works with Minis. His response......

The tyre inflation sensor is calculated by the ABS, and if one tyre is turning slower than the other this would indicate a flat tyre and would show the warning light. This can be reset on the car by going into the menu through the BC button on the indicator stock (R56 would imagine very similar on F56, or if you have Media then there will be an option in the Vehical Information menu) this would need reset after replacing/ fixing a flat tyre or if changing the wheels and tyre on the car.

This does make sense to what the Parts guy had said to me now that I read it!

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I checked ours last night and I am sure it has the sensors in the valve as they are different to anything I have seen on a MINI before. I am guessing that explains why the screen shows the actual tyre pressure per wheel now where as before it just threw a warning if it detected a pressure difference.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I think that's right, Washy. The sensors on the valves were pointed out during my handover, but I didn't imagine you'd have to chuck away the whole thing when the batter went flat.

Oli

1 - 20 of 37 Posts