Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right

Since I nearly managed to take myself and my old R53 out in a blaze of white powdery glory back in 2009 on a country lane, I've had winter rubber on that and and my R56 each year.

This is the first winter with the F56 - Cooper S on coventional NRF 17s.

I was looking at getting some winter alloys so the swap would be simpler and more cost effective over time, especially if at the end of my PCP I buy another Cooper S (let us remember that as Mini as I am, Europe's 2018 hot hatch landscape could be ridiculously enticing) I could use the same alloys.

But whichever way I worked it out, buying from Mini was never going to make the numbers work, plus the Mini winter wheel and tyre packages only include Run Flats and that is in no way happening. After markets would just about be cost effective, but I haven't been terribly impressed by various places lack of assurance about sorting TPMS out, and I like having someone to categorically blame, and that person or persons is typically best a Mini dealer as they have a brand to maintain and my future business to win.

Anyway, I have now decided to go the same route as before and just swap rubber over on my existing wheels. However, I always worry about damage being caused to my tyres during removal when they need preserving for another year or two, and general damage to my wheels. I don't know if anyone else has had issues in this regard. I think in the past I've had run flats for both winter and summer which are apparently harder to remove without damaging them for the next time around.

Secondly, does anyone have any experience of what is a good winter tyre for the F56 S? I'm thinking Continental Winter Contact T S850P, as I can get them for £600 for a set which seems borderline acceptable. I'm not a big fan of paying out for tyres, or for anything for that matter(!), but it does make me feel psychologically at peace with myself in the depths of winter (assuming we have a bad one this year in the UK) that I've at least got them strapped on whether they will make that much difference in actual fact or not.

Thirdly, I do have a Mini dealer that has a tyre hotel and will do the swap for me. Now the swap is £70 and I think it's another £70 to use their tyre hotel. Now most places will do the swap for £40, but like I saw they invariably damage my alloys and since we will go outside and have a look at my wheels beforehand and check condition, I'm fairly convinced that if it happens under a Mini dealer's stewardship, it will get sorted FOC and likewise the hotel is pricey but I get annoyed with them hanging round the garage when they're not being used and plus if one goes back on and is knackered and it's been nowhere else other that a Mini dealer for 6 months, I take it that common sense would prevail and dictate we come to an amicable solution.

So basically, my plan is one that minimises the chances of me getting done over down the line by just loading it up at the front end by getting stitched up royally on the price, but at least that then gives some certainty of good service and no nasty shocks down the line.

Failing that, can anyone recommend any GOOD tyre places (chain or indy) in Cheshire/Manchester/Staffordshire who don't duff your wheels up as a hobby and operate a tyre hotel?

In closing, thanks for reading and sorry for boring!

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Like you i didn't like the idea of tyres off every spring and autumn so bought some alloys from mytyres.co.UK they even do tpms now but not when I had mine so bought mini originals. Re winter tyres Michelin are good as are Goodyear.I have hankooks. Very happy for the price. I change them myself and keep them at home in the garage.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm a big fan of a spare set of wheels/tyres for winter use after being stuck one winter in snow and have since got a spare set for every car I've owned since. I have a trolley jack and is fairly easy to change myself (takes around 40 mins).

Although there is some initial outlay, the way I look at it is while I'm using my winter tyres, I'm not using my summer tyres and vice versa so the cost is some what negated medium/long term as tyres don't need replacing as they will last longer sharing the load over winter/summer periods.

If I sell the car, I sell the spare set of wheels so again recouping initial costs...

I have a spare set of lightly used 16" Mini 495 Victory spoke wheels with Pirelli snow control winter tyres for the Mini F56 if you are interested which I purchased prior to getting my JCW brake kit fitted but as these now won't fit over the calipers, they are surplus to requirements.. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello there

Cheers for the info Sooty... I can only just tolerate the look of mine on 17s so 16s are a no-no, although having driven a standard Cooper on 16s recently it felt like a Citroen CX in comparison to mine!

I can't even make a spag bol without nearly killing people, so I can't really be trusted putting me own wheels on.

I look at the cost like that too, to be honest Sooty. It's just that something has always gone wrong in the plan somewhere along the way!

I managed to sell my OEM Flame spokes from my R56 early this year after I opted for standard rubber - well, actually after I had got my F56(!) - for a couple of hundred quid I think. Can't even remember - did it on gumtree and there was so much interest it was ridiculous. I was going to give them away to the local scrapper too just to get them out of the spare room!

Anyway, after looking at Mr. Bignham's post, I decided to look at mytyres and they've actually got a pleasant array of alloys at reasonable prices (and I thought they would be horrendous as the ones pneus-online have are rubbish), but it just doesn't seem like there's a lot of guidance (for instance, my model Mini isn't available from the drop down) and it doesn't even mention offsets. Also, how did you sort your TPMS out on them? I just want absolute confidence that this will be easily sorted by someone as I can't get a grip on it myself.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Hi there the cooper s def used to be on there in a drop down.I had no trouble. Re the tpms I bought the alloys off my tyres I had the tyres from an r series mini and just went to mini and bought the tpms things fitted the tyres and done! Simple.just follow complete package for 5 door that gets you UK type L 2014 on meaning the f series . here you go or ring them.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/ko...elCode=62540&TypeCode=&TypSearch=Display+list

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
PS while this gives the correct figment for an f series cooper s I can't see tpms mentioned so ring them or buy them from mini and let them fit them when you get the wheels and tyres fitted.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Taking a full set of wheels on and off is really easy. Get the tools and you'll be set for life. Torque wrench, chocks, jack and just in case of extra security axle stands. In the UK these are all very cheap and a few tutorials from YouTube and you'll never look back. I also use a plastic coated socket (Amazon) to avoid damaging the alloys - your garage won't do this! Complete set is also the way ahead as on/off with the tyres and is asking for issues - imo.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hello there

Cheers for the info Sooty... I can only just tolerate the look of mine on 17s so 16s are a no-no, although having driven a standard Cooper on 16s recently it felt like a Citroen CX in comparison to mine!

I can't even make a spag bol without nearly killing people, so I can't really be trusted putting me own wheels on.

I look at the cost like that too, to be honest Sooty. It's just that something has always gone wrong in the plan somewhere along the way!

I managed to sell my OEM Flame spokes from my R56 early this year after I opted for standard rubber - well, actually after I had got my F56(!) - for a couple of hundred quid I think. Can't even remember - did it on gumtree and there was so much interest it was ridiculous. I was going to give them away to the local scrapper too just to get them out of the spare room!

Anyway, after looking at Mr. Bignham's post, I decided to look at mytyres and they've actually got a pleasant array of alloys at reasonable prices (and I thought they would be horrendous as the ones pneus-online have are rubbish), but it just doesn't seem like there's a lot of guidance (for instance, my model Mini isn't available from the drop down) and it doesn't even mention offsets. Also, how did you sort your TPMS out on them? I just want absolute confidence that this will be easily sorted by someone as I can't get a grip on it myself.

Cheers
I understand that it can be daunting changing wheels if you've not done it before but once done it's realtively easy with a torque wrench (so you don't over tighten the bolts)...

Funny, I also have a set of 17" black Cosmos wheels and also a new set of Mini TPMS sensors which are surplus to requirements too with without Michelin summer tyres :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
When my r53 had a surplus of power I ran 3 sets of wheels and rubber
Ad08r. 4 months
Goodyears asy 2 5 months
Nokian winters. 3 months

I'd be looking at nokian or Michelin cross climates, unless you live on a hill

For my f56

Got some Tpms and some BBS wheels from eBay
All fitted at local quick fit no issues ( they supplied the rubber) to get rid of the runflats and to clear the Jcw callipers
Collected " old " wheels a pair at a time

Car will be on a jack to rotate front to back soon, to get most miles from a set

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a spare set of lightly used 16" Mini 495 Victory spoke wheels with Pirelli snow control winter tyres for the Mini F56 if you are interested which I purchased prior to getting my JCW brake kit fitted but as these now won't fit over the calipers, they are surplus to requirements.. PM me if you are interested.
Sooty, Drop me a PM with few more details of those wheels will you please? (approx miles, price etc ...)

With you being fairly local to me I could collect them from you too if need be.

Cheers,

·
Registered
378 Posts
@ herr_vents

If you find yourself gazzumped I have 2 sets of spare wheels
One oem 18" with Tpms, and another 17 should you need some to clear Jcw calipers,
and as your a bit further saarf, I might be closer than the Angel of the north for you

Will be bumping my for sale threads for bank holiday weekend

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have the Pirelle Sottozeros on my Cooper S and I think they perform really well in cold weather.

I previously had a RCZ and swapped the 4 winter tyres every winter .... working out about £100 a year and I was about a grand for the tyres. Effectively costing me £400 a year over the course of owning it.

I managed to blag a new set of 17" Tentacle MINI alloys for £400 and winter tyres cost £600ish. So over my 4 years of ownership should work out about £250 a year. Plus I'll be able to sell the wheels on hopefully.

The only concern I have with only having tyres is always getting a tyrefitter to swap tyres ... it's inevitable you'll get scuffs along the way........

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi there the cooper s def used to be on there in a drop down.I had no trouble. Re the tpms I bought the alloys off my tyres I had the tyres from an r series mini and just went to mini and bought the tpms things fitted the tyres and done! Simple.just follow complete package for 5 door that gets you UK type L 2014 on meaning the f series . here you go or ring them.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/ko...elCode=62540&TypeCode=&TypSearch=Display+list
Hi Jeremy

All the 5-dr wheels are 7.5J and 3-dr are 7J. What wheels did you go for incidentally? Did you get an offset that matched your Mini OEMs? My Tentacles are a 54mm I believe, yet the closest I can seem to get on MyTyres is 45mm which isn't massive in the grand scheme of things and at least it's in the right direction, but it's a bit much for my liking.

So are you saying you went along with your alloys from mytyres, your tyres from an R-series, and went to Mini with both and asked for some TPMS sensors and got the lot done there? How much did they charge for fitting and the sensors?

Cheers

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good grief. Just rang mytyres. Chocolate teapot territory...

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Hi there i had 16" tyres from my r56 (not quite the right size but well within the5% it might be illegal to differ the speedo by- i have 195-50 -16 but they really should be 195-55 -16-they actually were bought for a hyundai)-i bought the dezent which are fine and yes, i took my mytyres alloys with my hankook tyres to mini and they fitted them for £15 each as a deal when i bought the tpms from them at £70 each-not cheap but not a mark on the alloys and mini warranty should the tpms not work-they do! Try poppin g your number plate into the alloy wheel on its own finder or give them a ring! J

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right... a bit of wheel advice then too?!

I didn't think this warranted a new thread, but maybe I'm wrong - it's an extension of my existing dilemma anyway.

Righto. Anyone who's read any of my previous ramblings will know that by and large I don't know much. Let's get that out of the way first of all.

OK, so I'm now firmly back down the route of getting a second set of alloys that will go hand in hand with my winter tyres.

I feel happiest getting a MINI dealer to sort my TPMS out. However, they have told me it will cost about £260 for the four sensors, but that's £260 job done. I know I could get them for half that, but I don't know which ones they use, I know the Cub ones need special Cub gear to set up, blah blah blah.

However, they've told me they will not fit any alloy to the car that does not match the original spec of the wheels supplied on it. I have 17" OEM Testi... Tentacles.

So... after much searching, I have found a wheel I like/can live with for a good price and it seems to match the Mini OEM particularly odd set of measurements. Now before I present my choice to the Mini dealer and get shot down for something I've not considered, is there any measurement I've left off?

7x17, 5x112, ET54, CB66.6 (I understand this CB measurement to be the same as the OEM, but I can't remember where I read it now)

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/car-wheels/borbet/v/7.0x17-5x112-et54-66.6-146.html

And finally, is there anything odd about the BMW TPMS sensors that differs to the ones I would get elsewhere, size-wise for instance? They have warned me (potentially in a bid to scaring me into forking out for their offensively priced articles) that not all alloys accommodate the sensors. Pneus-online are selling TPMS sensors with this wheel if one wishes, but I appreciate this isn't necessarily demonstrative of any confidence it will fit.

So should get my wheels with Hankook I-Cept Evo2 W320s delivered all the way from French France for comfortably less than £700, so could well be job done including TPMS inside a bag of sand.

Which should be great. Assuming those tyres aren't shocking. But it's hard to say. BMW/MINI push Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32s like there's no tomorrow but next to my Kumho winters I found them to be a disgrace, so it's horses for courses. Especially if it's a Findus Lasagne.

I'm here all week.

Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Funny you should say that. Like you i didnt fancy non oem tpms so took my wheels(my tyres 16" dezent) and tyre to mini for their tpms. the tpms fit through the wall with the electronics inside and the alloy wall is slightly thicker than minis which meant they couldnt pump them up. I nipped home for mybike pump which fitted fine. Theres just a teenybit shorter head on the valve . could also be cured by filing down the top of their pump head but they didnt fancy that!helpful though they were! Its a bontrager stand up type pump.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts