Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was just wondering what are the downsides to remapping my MC. Does it bring any problems to the engine ? I just didn’t know if it would strain the engine too much. I understand that my premiums for insurance would go up but I just need a bit more advice if it is worth it, so any advice would be amazing thank you !

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi @jnutton27 I once had a 130bhp car (not MINI) that I remapped to about 180bhp (dyno'd) and I can tell you that sort of percentage power increase is well worth it for the smiles yes. You're correct to question the other aspects, and only you can weigh them and decide it it's worth it overall. First there's the insurance cost and the remap cost, but that's a known quantity and easy to determine if the spend is what you want. That's the point of my first sentence, and IMO the result is worth the money.

The unknown factor is engine life. I saw someone state in another post somewhere (else) that they were sold a 'safe' map that has no effect on engine wear. This is untrue and not possible if the engine internals remain stock. Any upgrade to the power output of the engine will increase stress and wear on pretty much the whole car and specifically the engine and gearbox.

On balance, from anecdotal reviews of remaps in our MINIs, the risk is fairly low providing you choose a well known, tested, trusted tuning company. If (or when - actually!) I do get a remap, I would not consider anyone who offered remote or mobile tunes, and would only go for a rolling road, custom remap. The B38 and B48 engines are known to be quite undertuned from factory, and this is why many users get great results for many miles with no issues after upping the power output. Just do it right and be a bit conservative on the end figures. Just my take on this subject :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts