Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, my 2017 F54 Clubman S wouldn't start. All the interior lights came on, but when I pressed the button, everything would go dark and it would power back on with the Mini logo swirling around on the center screen. I suspected a bad battery, but it's strange it didn't give me any on-screen notification. There were also none of the clues I might have recognized from other vehicles. For example, the starter never started sounding weak or the solenoid didn't click. Just no action. The day before it did give me a clue, saying that I needed to "reset time and date." Also my satellite radio was intermittent the week prior. Maybe that was related? It did still have the original, four year-old battery, so I suppose it was time.

Anyway, I found this great video on YouTube that showed how to remove the battery. $200 for a new battery from O'Reilly and an hour later, it started right up. However, apparently you're supposed to tell the computer that a new battery has been installed. The scan tool (that I bought for $220!) was supposed to have the capability to do that, but it told me it "couldn't perform the reset on this particular vehicle"... ugh! So I still have to go to a dealer to do that? Does BMW lock out generic scan tools? Anybody have any tips on how to reset the battery minder?

Finally, I'll end with a rant for BMW -- with all the fancy computer stuff, why can't you simply put a notification on the screen that the battery needs to be replaced? Or, even better, how about "battery condition is weak and needs to be replaced within X days"? Good thing I had another car to go to the auto parts store with.

Here's the great video showing how to replace the battery if the car won't start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfEeHuRCGCU&t=2s By the way, the only tools you'll need are a 7, 8, 10, and 13 mm socket, and a screwdriver.

·
Super Moderator
8,526 Posts
You must have been unlucky, sometimes batteries go just like that ie instant failure with not enough juice to do anything as we've had notifications such as ,drive immediately , battery charge low, so the car can warn you.

·
Registered
2019 Cooper S F55 Exclusive Thunder Grey
76 Posts
Interesting little video, seems gone are the days when all you had to do was undo the battery terminals and holding clamp and lift out the battery, now it seems you have to virtually dismantle the car :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.